I Love the Pirates, I have no idea why as I have never seen a good Pirates team in my life. Could this be the year that changes? Who knows, I mean it probably won’t be but a boy can dream right. There are some things that I want to predict that I most certainly believe will happen. So here its is Mine and Brando’s list of What will Happen to the Pirates in 2011.
- The Pirates Will Not lose 100 games. It Simply won’t happen two years in a Row. As bad as they were last year you have to believe they improved enough to win 7- 10 more games and only lose in the 90 game range. I’m not saying they only win 63 games as I believe anything could happen with this young core, but I do know they won’t lose 100.
- Andrew McCutchen will Win a Major Award. Andrew McCutchen is a great player and despite playing for the Pirates, I believe that he will win a major award such as the Gold Glove award. We’ve seen it happen in the past and I don’t see any reason that the best outfielder the Pirates have had in years couldn’t pull it off. Could he even win the Batting Title or Possibly the MVP? We can only hope that he brings some watchable ball to PNC.
- The Best Pitcher will be… Rudy Owens. This may be the boldest of my predictions, but I really think it may be true. Most are going to disagree with this and say it will be James McDonald. I do think that J-Mac will do pretty good this year, he did have some good stats in his time with the Pirates. He went 4-5 with a 3.52 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and averaged 8.7 K’s/9 in 64 IP. As we know though Pirates Starters have had problems repeating success in the past. Plus this will be his first year where he’ll be expected to carry a major load in the majors. Why do I think Owens will do so good well I really like what I see in him I think he’ll do great in AAA, be up in the majors by mid-season, and really show he deserves it.
- The Pirates will hit more home runs this year then in the last five years. They were 6th worst in the league last year with only 126. Before that they hit 125 in 09, 153 in 08, 148 in 07, and 141 in 06. Lets face it last year they had Jones as their scariest home run threat, This year looks a lot different. First off Pedro Alvarez will be the main power man in my eyes he has 40 Home Run potential, will he hit that many this year probably not but with 25-35 it sure will do. Next I look at the platoon of Jones/Diaz to be the second biggest source of power. Jones isn’t good against lefties but he does great against righties, and the exact opposite is true for Diaz . Jones had a .282/.359/.495 line against right-handers, and Diaz’s career line against lefties is .335/.373/.533. I would expect around 20-30 from the Jones/Diaz platoon. Lyle Overbay will be a good addition to the long ball department. Although he is on the downside of his career I can see him doing alright for the Pirates being a lefty in PNC is always a plus. He should hit around 15-25. For my prediction to come true they’d have to hit at least 154, can it happen.
- A Pirate Pitcher will win the Cy Young. Ok so we all know this isn’t going to happen, but I figured I’d make one really crazy prediction to go with my other somewhat crazy predictions. I mean what are the actual chances that someone from the group of Maholm, Ohlendorf, McDonald, Correia, Morton can beat out some of the guys like Lincecum, Halladay, Lee. Well I think those chances are about 1 in a billion, but that’s big enough for me to make this prediction.