Not much to talk about game wise it was pretty crappy, but there was a fan on the field first time I’ve ever seen that live. Well here you go some pictures and videos I got from the game
This is something I’ve always wanted to find out and discuss. What Pittsburgh Rival is the most hated? Each team in Pittsburgh has its own rivals, but which rival draws the most hatred out of Pittsburghers? That is what I’ll examine here I am going to pick the biggest rival for each team in the Burgh, and determine which one should be considered the Most Hated Team in Pittsburgh.
I Think this was the easiest one for me to pick. Although you can say the Steelers have many rivals the Browns, Bengals, Patriots, my pick is the Baltimore Ravens. I think this rivalry initially stemmed from the Ravens actually being the Browns. Yes back at the beginning of the Ravens they were just the Browns transplanted to another city, and that gave Pittsburgh a reason to dislike them. Then it turned out they were actually pretty good. Through the first four years there wasn’t much competition as the Steelers Went 6-2. In 2000 however the Ravens won the Superbowl only adding fuel to the rivalry. I think this rivalry has really shot off since Ben Roethlisberger has been here. Not only because Ben is 9-2 against the Ravens in his career including playoffs, but also because we’ve won two Superbowls & beat them twice in the playoffs. Plus all the HUGE hits, Smack talk, and Dirtiness in the games fuels it even more.
All Time Record– Steelers up 22-12 (playoffs included)
This one was little harder for me to pick seeing as the Pirates have been perennial losers for 19 years and haven’t been on anyones radar as a rival. I mean obviously I think that there is a natural rivalry between you and anyone in your division. What teams does that leave us with Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, Houston Astros, Milwaukee Brewers, and St. Louis Cardinals. I suppose you could put the Mets or Phillies here too, but I think those were more relevant when they played them more often. Anyways my choice is the Brewers. I feel as though that this is probably how the Browns feel about the Steelers, not a huge competition they pretty much beat us every time and that’s why we hate them. Look at just last season and you can see some of the reasons of course there is the 20-0 loss the worst loss in franchise history. Then of course the 22 game losing streak at Miller Park that was finally broken last year.
2010 Record- Brewers 13-5
This one was also a little harder for me to figure out but it is because I’m not a huge hockey follower, but I do know a lot of people who are huge hockey fans so I figured I’d ask them. Like I’ve stated before there is a natural rivalry with any team in your division, and for the Pens these teams are The Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, and New York Rangers. It’s obvious out of those that the biggest rivalry is the Flyers. With the Pens though there are also some other teams who are rivals that aren’t in the division a huge one being The Washington Capitals, but also you could put the Ottawa Senators here too. My choice came down to the Caps and Flyers and my final choice is the Flyers. When these two teams get together there is pure hatred. Plus since both Teams are excellent right now it’s like the Ravens & Steelers rivalry it could go either way at any time. In their two most recent playoff meetings the Pens have beat the Flyers, which is huge in a rivalry.
All Time Record- Flyers Up 136- 80- 30 Playoff Series Flyers up 3-2
Lets just take a look at the Teams in the Big East in Football you have Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, Syracuse, West Virginia. I don’t think there is any real competition here as to who I’m gonna choose here obviously it is the WVU Mountaineers. This is probably one of the biggest college football rivalries. The Backyard Brawl has so much history behind it and each year it’s a great game.
All Time Record- Pitt Up 61-39-3
Now Lets take a look at Pitt basketball, the Big East has a few more teams that play basketball but I think the biggest rivalries are WVU, U Conn, Notre Dame, and Georgetown. Out of these The one I think that is the biggest is Pitt Vs. U Conn Huskies. I think it could go either way here, but in my eyes some of these games have been pretty awesome and intense. This rivalry really sprung from the Big East Championships they played the Panthers in the Big East Tournament championship game in 2002, 2003, and 2004.
Seeing as the Pittsburgh Power have only played two games, they don’t really have a rival yet. However there’s the divisional rival thing, which consists of the Cleveland Gladiators, Milwaukee Mustangs, and Philadelphia Soul. I would call the Philadelphia Soul the biggest rival of the Power, Since I hate all things Philadelphia.
All Time Record- Soul up 1-0
I Love the Pirates, I have no idea why as I have never seen a good Pirates team in my life. Could this be the year that changes? Who knows, I mean it probably won’t be but a boy can dream right. There are some things that I want to predict that I most certainly believe will happen. So here its is Mine and Brando’s list of What will Happen to the Pirates in 2011.
- The Pirates Will Not lose 100 games. It Simply won’t happen two years in a Row. As bad as they were last year you have to believe they improved enough to win 7- 10 more games and only lose in the 90 game range. I’m not saying they only win 63 games as I believe anything could happen with this young core, but I do know they won’t lose 100.
- Andrew McCutchen will Win a Major Award. Andrew McCutchen is a great player and despite playing for the Pirates, I believe that he will win a major award such as the Gold Glove award. We’ve seen it happen in the past and I don’t see any reason that the best outfielder the Pirates have had in years couldn’t pull it off. Could he even win the Batting Title or Possibly the MVP? We can only hope that he brings some watchable ball to PNC.
- The Best Pitcher will be… Rudy Owens. This may be the boldest of my predictions, but I really think it may be true. Most are going to disagree with this and say it will be James McDonald. I do think that J-Mac will do pretty good this year, he did have some good stats in his time with the Pirates. He went 4-5 with a 3.52 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and averaged 8.7 K’s/9 in 64 IP. As we know though Pirates Starters have had problems repeating success in the past. Plus this will be his first year where he’ll be expected to carry a major load in the majors. Why do I think Owens will do so good well I really like what I see in him I think he’ll do great in AAA, be up in the majors by mid-season, and really show he deserves it.
- The Pirates will hit more home runs this year then in the last five years. They were 6th worst in the league last year with only 126. Before that they hit 125 in 09, 153 in 08, 148 in 07, and 141 in 06. Lets face it last year they had Jones as their scariest home run threat, This year looks a lot different. First off Pedro Alvarez will be the main power man in my eyes he has 40 Home Run potential, will he hit that many this year probably not but with 25-35 it sure will do. Next I look at the platoon of Jones/Diaz to be the second biggest source of power. Jones isn’t good against lefties but he does great against righties, and the exact opposite is true for Diaz . Jones had a .282/.359/.495 line against right-handers, and Diaz’s career line against lefties is .335/.373/.533. I would expect around 20-30 from the Jones/Diaz platoon. Lyle Overbay will be a good addition to the long ball department. Although he is on the downside of his career I can see him doing alright for the Pirates being a lefty in PNC is always a plus. He should hit around 15-25. For my prediction to come true they’d have to hit at least 154, can it happen.
- A Pirate Pitcher will win the Cy Young. Ok so we all know this isn’t going to happen, but I figured I’d make one really crazy prediction to go with my other somewhat crazy predictions. I mean what are the actual chances that someone from the group of Maholm, Ohlendorf, McDonald, Correia, Morton can beat out some of the guys like Lincecum, Halladay, Lee. Well I think those chances are about 1 in a billion, but that’s big enough for me to make this prediction.
I’m just curious about which team you all love to see the most of. If I had to choose and it’s like choosing between your children I’d have to say the Steelers. I just love football so much more than any other sport, and I just love Steeler football. Anyways take the poll and vote for your favorite and we’ll see who wins.
Definition of SHORTCOMING: an imperfection or lack that detracts from the whole; also:the quality or state of being flawed or lacking